• Users Online: 936
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 31  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 135-139

Evaluation of the effect of intratympanic injection of gentamicin for resistant cases of Meniere's disease on hearing and vestibular functions


1 Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
2 Unit of Audiology, Otorhinolaryngology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Samir Asal
Unit of Audiology, Otorhinolaryngology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, 182 Omar Lofty Street Sporting Tram Station, Alexandria 21111
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1012-5574.156099

Rights and Permissions

Objectives This study was performed to investigate the effect of a single minimal dose of intratympanic injection (IT) gentamicin on hearing and otolithic function, mainly on the utricle and saccule independently. Patients and methods Our study was performed on 10 patients with definite Meniere's disease diagnosed according to AAO-HNS criteria and who had been showing resistance to medical treatment for more than 6 months with persistent vertigo affecting their lifestyle. IT of gentamicin was given under local anesthesia through direct perfusion in a single dose of 12 mg (0.3 ml of 40 mg/ml) unilaterally on the lesion side. Preinjection evaluation included history, otoscopy, formal pure tone audiometry (PTA), and tympanometry. In addition, cervical vestibular-evoked myogenic potential (cVEMP) and oVEMP were tested. One month after injection, PTA and both VEMP tests were again carried out. Data before and after injection were analyzed and correlated. Results No overall significant effect on hearing was found. IT gentamicin had significant effect on cVEMPs with 100% abolition, as well as a statistically significant effect on oVEMP with 70% abolition and distortion of the remaining 30%. In these remaining 30% latencies and amplitudes, there was no significant difference in values before and after injection. Conclusion A 12 mg single dose of gentamicin can abolish otolithic function without affecting hearing.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed851    
    Printed17    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded142    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal