• Users Online: 163
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 33  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 616-622

Safety and efficacy of pediatric functional endoscopic sinus surgery for the treatment of pediatric chronic rhinosinusitis


Department of ENT, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Hossam Elsisi
Department of ENT, Mansoura University, Mansoura
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ejo.ejo_7_15

Rights and Permissions

Objective: The objective of this article is to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of pediatric endoscopic sinus surgery for the treatment of pediatric chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS). Patients and methods: This study was of a retrospective observational clinical type and was carried in the tertiary referral center. A total of 90 patients with CRS refractory to medical treatment and operated with endoscopic sinus surgery were included in this study. Computed tomography scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses was done for all patients. Sinonasal outcome test-20 German adapted version was used for preoperative and postoperative symptoms evaluation. Results Among these 90 children, there were 62 males and 28 females, with mean age of 12.5 (7–16) years. A total of 84 (93.3%) patients had CRS without nasal polyps, and CRS with nasal polyps was present in the remaining six (6.7%) patients. Nasal obstruction and purulent nasal discharge were the most reported symptoms. The follow-up period ranged from 6 months to 5 years, with a mean of 3.7 years. The overall success of the procedure was 68.8%. The most significant improvement was noticed by patients with nasal obstruction and purulent nasal discharge (90.3 and 88.8%). The least improvement occurred in patients with hyposmia (36.3%). Conclusion Functional endoscopic sinus surgery is a safe and effective procedure in children. Proper preoperative selection of patients is mandatory. Limited surgical intervention is needed in children with control of the disease and preservation of the nasal mucosa. Second-look operation may be needed in some cases. Follow-up is essential for success of the procedure.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed133    
    Printed4    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded40    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal